Skip to Main Content

Copyright Permission: Text

This guide lists and links to organizations that manage copyright permissions.

Copyright Clearance Center

The CCC manages copyright permission for most contemporary and recent textual works published in the United States.

Here is a video tutorial on how to use the CCC's Pay Per Use service to search for a work in the Copyright Clearance Center and get permission to use it. 

In some cases, the CCC offers a form to fill out, and you can get permission and pay royalties online. In other cases, the CCC just gives you the copyright owner's contact information. Then you need to contact them directly. More information about that in the boxes below.

Whom to contact if it's not in the CCC database

For a book that's in print... contact the publisher

For a book that's out of print... contact the author or their estate

For an article... contact the journal or magazine

Requesting permission and negotiating the license

We recommend contacting by email or phone first to confirm that they are the right person to ask, and to determine whether they wish to proceed by email or land mail. 

If you are using land mail, be sure to enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope, and send it all by Certified Mail so that you can be sure that it arrived.  

Your Librarians

Profile Photo
Sarah Morehouse

If you need to request accommodations on the basis of a disability for library content, please visit the Accessibility Resources and Services website.

(800) 847-3000 x2222

Normal Hours
Sun-Thu 11am-7pm

Search our FAQ or email us a question