Learning Objectives for this Module
After going through this module, you will be able to:
- Explain the rights of a person who has purchased or rented a copy of a copyrighted work.
- Explain the difference between transfer of copyright, and licensing.
- Explain how content in the ESC library is available through licensing, and describe the typical permissions and restrictions of those licenses.
- Explain how Creative Commons licenses work within copyright law and the range of permissions and restrictions of those licenses.
- Differentiate Creative Commons content from content that is available for free.
- Describe two or more academic situations in which it can be desirable to negotiate a license to use content.
- List the general steps of obtaining a license to use content, with reference to the differences between obtaining a license of published text versus unpublished, or multimedia.
- Describe the kinds of information that a rightsholder needs in order to grant a license, and may want to negotiate on.
- Understand that a license is a contract, and a violation of the license breaks the contract, terminates the license, and can put you in violation of copyright.